Pray For Light

Not long ago I was invited to an event and ushered to my seat at a dinner table. My place at the table was next to two women who loved each other very much.

Both were curious, charming, well-read, and remarkably competent in their respective fields of work. One had been raised, fairly happily, in a Christian home and the other was actively searching for truth wherever that might lead her.

The couple hoped to get married and were currently visiting places of worship in hopes of finding a church home to settle down together and possibly raise a family.

“Maybe we could visit your church? Do you affirm gay marriage?”

I prayed for light.

I was torn, because I am yoked to Jesus, who calls himself the Truth of God.

I was torn, because I knew Jesus was inviting these women into a journey with him, and there I sat, rather intimately, at their right hand.

I was torn, because I am a daughter and image of the living God, whose wisdom I trust.

“I think you should come visit this Sunday” I said, “I’ll meet you in the Gallery and we’ll save you two seats.”

I was reminded of a story about Brennan Manning, who literally hopped up and down with joy when he saw his friends approaching. Was this the light in answer to my prayer?

Yes. I would jump up and down the day I saw these two approach the doors of our church. I would walk with them down the aisle to our saved seats. I would awkwardly whisper instructions about eating the bread and drinking the wine and kneeling to pray. I would introduce them to friends and family and invite them to dinner.

And I would do this, not because my church “affirms gay marriage” (we don’t), but because God raised Jesus from the dead! We serve a just King who is able to do abundantly more than we could ever imagine in his world, and through his people.

We are yoked to Christ – the faithful, obedient, and risen son of God.

This is a great mystery worth our full attention.

Shalom to you and yours!

Kim

14 responses to Pray For Light

1. I have loved your devotions in the past, and have missed them. This one, though, is troubling. You are right to be kind and that God can do anything, but isn’t Communion for believers? And aren’t believers obligated to agree with God on what He calls sin? How else can we “follow Jesus”? I don’t know them, but it seems more like they are seeking God’s blessing on what they want, rather than His will for them. I don’t know exactly how I would have handled your situation, but it does not seem loving to me to pretend it’s ok to pretend. The eternal consequences are too great, as are the blessings missed this side of Heaven.

2. Flo Wolfe says:

Being a daughter of the King, you wisely did not insist those not yet called to Jesus behave like His own.

3. Carla Allen says:

I believe Jesus would invite them in to feast on His Word, bread, wine, and love from the Body of Christ…just as you did. I love seeing your posts in my email, Kim.

4. Christie Wayne says:

You are lovingly point on. The Holy Spirit works in ways we cannot know until we ca finally see his work. And always glorious. Thank you Kim for this precious reminder to leap for love.

5. Russell Young says:

It’s great to see that you didn’t come straight out and say “no – we don’t affirm gay marriage” but rather invited them to an atmosphere where God could work in their hearts – well done!

6. Shirley Tucker says:

It really bothers me when nonbelievers accuse Christians of being smug or puffed up. We are all sinners. Christ died for each of us. We are to love one another, even those with whom we do not agree—and that is not always comfortable or an easy thing to do. You showed love to those women, as we are taught.

But I also believe that the Lord’s Table is a blessed sacrament. Communion is for those in union with Christ, those who have fellowship with him. It is not for the unconverted or the unrepentant. Explaining its meaning is something we should be happy to share, but they should not partake until they believe.

I hope and pray your example and love for these ladies, and similar experiences with other Christians, will set them on the path where they are drawn to Christ.

7. Elizabeth Anne says:

I wholeheartedly agree that believers should be the aroma of Christ among those who are perishing (II Corin 2:15), that it is the kindness of God that leads to repentance (Rom 2:4), and that we should represent that kindness well to a world that is without hope and without God (Eph 2:12). Your story is an encouragement to me to be gracious and kind and full of the joy of the Spirit…I would love to see someone so excited by my arrival that they jump up and down, and I want to love others like that!

I also agree with the commenters who expressed concern with inviting unbelievers to partake of the Lord’s Table.

I Corinthians 11:27-32 reveals that partaking of the Lord’s Table in an unworthy fashion is a serious matter – serious enough that some of the early believers were dying because of it.

Even if the Lord isn’t dealing with the church in our time as strictly as He was at the advent of the church age (who do we know that has been struck dead from telling one lie like Ananias and Sapphira were?), I don’t imagine He’s changed His mind from what His Word says: whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

If believers, who have the Holy Spirit living within them, can partake in an unworthy manner, it doesn’t seem possible that an unbeliever could partake in a worthy manner, and it seems like an unloving thing to do to place them in a position where they are doing something against which the Lord has spoken so strongly.

However, maybe when you wrote that you would whisper instructions about eating the bread and drinking the wine, you meant something different than telling them to partake, and if so, please forgive the misunderstanding.

8. Delia Hunt says:

Rosaria had a similar experience with the pastor who became her friend. I pray that these two will experience the love of Christ through you. Romans 12:12

Delia Sent from my iPhone

9. Anonymous says:

Kim,
    Love seeing an entry from you. You’ve been missed .
    I didn’t get the impression you affirmed their
    taking communion but “awkwardly” explained it was for believers. God bless you for reaching out to them. Praying for your further association with these two precious ones; that God will lead you at every step and fill you with His compassion, truth, grace and mercy.
    Blessings and love.

10. Kim says:

Thanks to each of you for taking time to leave your thoughtful responses. I trust that the Holy Spirit will continue to grow up to maturity each one of us who humbly enters his house and feasts at his table. Shalom!

11. Kathy says:

Oh, Kim. Thank you for this. We have two daughters who are are living with/‘married to’ women and it breaks our hearts. At the same time, we love, care for and laugh with them – jump with joy when we see them coming with their partners, believing all the while that Jesus says to them, patting the seat next to Him, “Sit right here!” I believe the Hound of Heaven will pursue them and may even use our love of them and for Him to bring them back to Himself and in His time. Yes. Yes. Yes.

12. Kimberly says:

As a Christ-follower who believes that God celebrates His LGBTQ children, I find your deception about your church’s beliefs troubling. They asked you a simple question with a simple answer. There ARE churches who not only affirm gay marriage, but truly celebrate it. By not being truthful to this couple upfront, you are only delaying their inevitable discovery that you do not affirm them and they will never be allowed to be full active members of your church as a married couple. This, “let’s bring them in under false pretenses so we can lovingly show them the error of their ways,” does not work. It is very harmful and is the very reason so many in the LGBTQ community who grew up loving Christ now feel so far away from Him.

13. You were in a tough place and responded in love. I admire your quick thinking and loving words, allowing yourself to do the welcoming and the Holy Spirit to do the judging.